Published on 11th August 2021
An exciting opportunity and genuine first in agricultural communication. We are looking for a part-time, freelance Project Editor to join our small team at Just Farmers and help us drive the project forward. The role is:
- Freelance (starting October 2021 for three months initially, with potential to extend)
- 2 days a week @ £200 per day
- Working from home with potential for some travel.
About the Role
At Just Farmers we run media education workshops for small groups of independent farmers and growers, aimed at building their confidence about talking to the media and sharing their stories. So far, we have trained 60 farmers from around the UK and their profiles are posted on the Just Farmers website where registered members of the media can approach them directly for comment or interview.
We already have more than 100 individuals registered on our site, from national and regional newspapers, broadcasters, trade press, freelance journalists, magazine writers, authors, and academic researchers. We would love to be able to engage with them more proactively and push the farmers’ stories out there. But to take our project to the next level, we need help.
Thanks to the support of the Mercer Family Charitable Foundation, we have secured funding to bring on a new member of the team. We are looking for a driven self-starter who is ready to take on the challenge, make it their own and run with it.
Key duties would include:
- Monitoring the Just Farmers website and liaising with members of the media who register with us.
- Responding quickly to the national news agenda; finding stories within our farmer base; liaising with the media; pitching stories; writing and sending out briefings to our registered users.
- Writing web copy and developing content for social media.
- Helping us recruit independent farmers from around the UK for our workshops.
- Assisting with workshop delivery – planning, organisation, and logistics.
About the candidate
You will be enthusiastic, self-motivated, and full of creative ideas. This is the ultimate ‘you get out what you put in’ opportunity with huge scope to shape the future of Just Farmers, grow our ambition and play a leading role in what we do.
This role would suit a journalist, programme maker and/or agricultural communicator with exceptional news judgement and storytelling skills, who’s used to working in a fast-paced environment and meeting tight deadlines.
You will be organised and efficient, with a great attention to detail. As this role will be working from home, you must be self-motivated and willing to pick up the phone and talk to people (not just Googling and firing off emails!).
We will be a small core team of three, but we also work with some fantastic external freelancers, sponsors, and suppliers, as well as some of the friendliest farmers in British ag. A down to earth attitude to life and a good sense of humour are essential. Kindness, tolerance, and inclusivity are cornerstones of what we do.
You will have:
- Demonstrable experience in journalism, factual storytelling and/or factual programme making.
- Undergraduate and/or postgraduate qualification in journalism and/or a portfolio of published professional work.
- Exceptional organisational skills.
- Experience of, or at least demonstrable interest in, farming and rural affairs.
- A good understanding of social media; confidence using Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Knowledge of media law.
- A full, clean UK driving licence and access to your own vehicle.
- Enthusiasm, resilience, and a good sense of humour.
- You must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
Deadline for applications: September 24th 2021.
Interviews: w/c October 4th 2021.
Please email a CV with covering letter, an example of your previous work and no more than 500 words sharing your vision for Just Farmers, and how you would like to help us shape the project.
For more information about what we do: https://www.justfarmers.org
We really look forward to hearing from you!