Applications have opened for the 2018 Perkins Global Innovation Scholarship – a scholarship that supports international travel and professional development opportunities for Guild members.
The 2018 destination is India and we are inviting applications to travel to this amazing country. The award is worth £5,000 in travel and accommodation.
The award will be worth up to £5,000 towards travel and accommodation and the winner will be expected to join an organised itinerary at the start of the trip with Perkins, but will then be free to undertake their own travel and activities.
Thanks to some additional funds, there were two winners of the 2016 scholarship – Olivia Midgely from Farmers Guardian travelled to Brazil and Jez Fredenburgh from Farmers Weekly travelled to China. Freelance Aly Balsom won the 2017 award and will visit Argentina in 2018.
The objectives of the award are as follows:
- To support the professional development of the winner;
- To ensure strong social media, blog and post-trip media coverage of the winner’s findings;
- To enhance links and networking between the British Guild and journalists/communicators in the host country.
The expectations from the winner will be as follows:
- A blog is kept during the trip;
- Social media activity before, during and after the trip;
- Inclusion of good photography and/or video from the trip;
- Maximum post-trip media coverage;
- A short post-trip ‘reflections’ report;
- A presentation about your trip at a BGAJ event.
Applications are being sought for the 2018 award to India, the closing date is 26 January 2018. To apply, please submit the following:
- A written application on why you want to attend, what you hope to get out of this trip and why we should pick you! – preferably including a video ‘pitch’;
- An outline of media and social media coverage you will commit to;
- Agreement that you will commit to post-trip coverage and a post-trip report and presentation.
- NB Award winners are not allowed to enter a subsequent year.
Trip open to three paying delegates
The trip will also be open to up to three paying delegates who can join the initial four days. They must be BGAJ Members who will cover their own costs for the duration of the trip.
For guidance and additional information, please contact Jane Craigie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed applications should be submitted to Guild secretary Nikki Robertson at email@example.com