We believe that news is the backbone of democracy in the UK, and that DC Thomson is the best case study for the digital transformation of regional storytelling. We are on a journey towards a sustainable digital model, having grown beyond 28,000 paying digital subscribers for our local titles. Our portfolio includes the best-selling Press & Journal, The Courier, Evening Express and Evening Telegraph, as well as the Sunday Post with its rich heritage of fearless investigative journalism and tireless national campaigning.
Examples of the type of work our farming team has been involved in:
- Keeping readers up to date with a broad range of farming, agriculture and agri-tech news including shows and sales coverage
- Producing our much-loved Saturday Farming pull-outs
- Celebrating the spirit of our local agriculture and farming communities, giving a voice to those closest to issues
Farming is a key content pillar of our titles and we’re looking for a self-starter with farming knowledge, a network of contacts and content ideas to serve our loyal readers across Scotland.
We’re looking for a journalist with some digital experience to turn their hand to producing news that the industry needs to know, whether events on the regular farming calendar or the impact of policy and politics.
Working with our Farming Editor, you will contribute to our daily print and online coverage, as well as our popular pull-outs. The successful candidate will work with colleagues in our print production, audience and social media teams to bring the content to our readers.
What to expect:
A fast-paced but rewarding role in the heart of a busy newsroom with the potential for creative work and inspiring storytelling that challenges, entertains and informs our readers.
Accountabilities and responsibilities include:
- Developing and contributing ideas during brainstorming and planning sessions that address audience needs
- Contributing thoroughly researched and well-written news and features to brief
- Supporting audience teams with farming insight
- Maintaining best practices for publishing across platforms, implementing editorial guidelines and ensuring accuracy
Knowledge, skills and attributes:
- Strong journalistic abilities, generating ideas for exclusive, analytical and engaging content
- Passion for the specific topic covered by their publishing team
- Willingness to embrace new skills and tools in the digital arena such as SEO, social media, video, audio etc.
- Ability to work in a team, collaborating on ideas and sharing responsibility for meeting KPIs
- Highly developed communication skills
- Detailed knowledge of Editors’ Code of Practice, GDPR and the law
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time position, working 35 hours per week from our Meadowside Office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, Health Cash Plan, Onsite Staff Gym, excellent Pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please visit dcthomson.co.uk/vacancies
Closing date for applications is Tuesday 16th May 2023
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.