Take advantage of the extended deadline and apply for this exciting job opportunity with the IFAJ, working with ag communicators around the world. Closes 5 November.
Call for applicants
The International Federation of Agricultural Journalists (IFAJ) is the world’s only global network of agricultural journalists and communicators.
We are a non-partisan, non-political federation of agricultural journalism guilds, dedicated to professional development and networking. We connect journalists, editors, photographers, videographers, bloggers, designers and communicators involved in national associations of agricultural journalism. We are linked in support of press freedom and the shared mission of improving the flow and quality of information to – and from – farmers around the world.
Our global network comprises member guilds from 60 countries with more than 5,000 individual members. Annual income from dues and sponsorships is approximately 100,000 Euros. Following retirement of our Global Manager, IFAJ needs to staff its Global Office to administer its expanding day-to-day affairs.
Start date would be February 2024. The retiring Global Manager will be available to facilitate handover.
Description of activities
IFAJ is an all-volunteer organisation led by four elected officers (the Presidium) for two-year terms. An Executive Committee comprises representatives of each member guild. This leadership group conducts IFAJ business and formulates policy. The part-time Global Office facilitates the organisation’s work, coordinating new projects, guild liaisons, guild support and programs as described in our Vision 2025 strategy.
The Global Office reports to the President and the Presidium. It also maintains contact with Executive members, guild secretaries and the Presidium. The Global Office’s home base is considered the official, central contact point for IFAJ, for incoming and outgoing correspondence.
Expected time commitment would be 25 hours per week.
- Central address of IFAJ, handling correspondence, communications and other liaisons
- Co-ordination of IFAJ volunteers, e.g. for contest organisers, committee chairmen, etc
- Archive, store and maintain IFAJ official documents, brochures, medals, diplomas, PR materials etc.
- Organise and host online meetings for Presidium (monthly)
- Organise and host online Executive Committee meetings (two per year)
- Host regular meetings with the Executive sub-committees (attendance/minutes not required)
- Preparations for the annual General Assembly: agendas, reports, registration, etc
- Organise IFAJ business meetings: prepare agendas, reports, etc. (two per year)
- Serve as a liaison for annual IFAJ Congress and semi-annual in-person Executive meetings
- Liaison for organisers of meetings and activities in which IFAJ is involved, i.e. IFAJ Congress, Executive meetings.
- Liaise with sub-committees and develop benefits for members
- Maintain contact with all existing guilds, membership applicants and fledgling guilds
- Provide bookkeeping services and budget tracking to assist the Treasurer
- Support the Treasurer and Sponsorship Committee with fundraising and sponsor management
- Oversee implementation of Vision 2025 for the Presidium
- Support for President, Presidium, Committee chairs and continental networks
- Process requests for press cards
- Other services as required
- Maintain IFAJ database: sponsors and partners of IFAJ, Presidium, Executives and other guild chairmen, secretaries and treasurers of member organisations, related organisations and sponsors
- Maintain member mailing lists
Marketing and PR
- Assist in marketing IFAJ to organisations, potential sponsors and new member countries
- Manage and update the IFAJ website (WordPress) in cooperation with the Vice President.
- Assist with website content creation
- Manage IFAJ’s social media channels and the IFAJ Member Portal
- Compile and distribute online information and e-newsletter
Boot Camp (annually, in conjunction with Congress)
- Collect applications Master Class and Young Leader Boot Camp and distribute to selection jury
- Coordinate with Congress organisers to select venue, arrange accommodations and meeting
- Arrange air travel and assist with visa documentation for Master Class attendees (generally 10
- Attend Boot Camp and handle on-the-ground logistics
Start: February 2024
We would prefer a team that can provide coverage when the Global Manager is unavailable, or require a plan that accounts for backup coverage during holidays or emergencies in which the Global Manager is unavailable.
Language: Fluency in English essential; another IFAJ official language (French or Spanish) would be an asset.
IFAJ expects the total remuneration to be in the region of 30,000 Euros per year, plus reimbursement for travel expenses incurred for IFAJ.
Fee and staffing will be determined in collaboration with the Federation’s management.
Send your application including a description of you/your company together with two references to IFAJ President Lena Johansson, firstname.lastname@example.org before Nov 5. Interviews (online) will be conducted during November 2023.