About the role
Engaging our readers is the beating heart of CPM. Due to the continued expansion and success of the print magazine and an evolving digital platform, CPM is looking for a sort we know will be hard to find.
We are looking for someone who understands the power of writing and how to use it across both print and digital platforms to support our editorial partnerships with leading agricultural companies as well as CPM’s renowned run-of-page editorial.
Our digital platform has been recently updated and part of this role will be to edit, write or commission bespoke digital content, as well as spot the news stories that will be of importance to our readers. There’s real scope to put your stamp on a digital offering that’s ripe for development, bringing huge opportunities. Your fresh eyes will help spot these.
As well as determining the direction of CPM’s digital offerings, you’ll also be the right-hand person to CPM’s Editor, helping to plan and resource content, edit copy and ensure its accurate passage onto the page. You’ll understand that technical excellence is an important cornerstone of the CPM brand, as well as engaging content that spans the range of challenges being faced by farmers.
You’ll also have days where you’re out and about at briefings, events, open days as well as visiting some of the most dynamic and innovative farmers across the UK. This position is exciting and fast-paced, and you’ll get back everything you put into it and more.
You’ll need to be passionate about farming, with good knowledge of the industry. You’ll also have a way with words. We know the technical may prove harder to master and a good knowledge of agronomy is highly desirable for this role, but not essential if you can demonstrate a hunger to learn and an ability to quickly take on board new things.
You may have a background in journalism, or it may be in PR or marketing, but writing is in your soul. This is a one in a million chance to join a team of award-winning journalists, providing the opportunity to take on a broad range of subjects with plenty of scope to dig into the detail. We don’t skimp on page space. You’ll never get bored and have the opportunity to help determine the direction of one of farming’s most trusted magazines at a real time of change in the industry.
First and foremost, you’ll be a doer, working with the Editor to ensure projects are executed on time and to a high standard. But we also want you to be full of brilliant ideas and have the ability to see things from a different angle.
You’ll be an organised and ambitious self-starter, able to work on your own initiative and in a sometimes solitary environment. You’ll be a person who can multi-task and manage short deadlines and long-term strategies alike.
You’ll be familiar and competent with standard office software packages, and if you have photography, videography or podcasting skills, any of these would be a valuable added bonus.
- You’ll have a minimum of five years’ experience as a journalist, PR professional, or in a closely-related role
- You’ll have a relevant degree or advanced training in a science or in journalism, communications or a copywriting discipline
- You will be able to demonstrate a good working knowledge of the farming industry with a network of contacts
- Your writing and grasp of the English language will be excellent
- You are a communicator at heart and that has no boundaries – you’re happy talking to farmers, agronomists, manufacturers and researchers
- You will be organised, reliable, committed and understand the importance of deadlines
- Photography skills are highly desirable
- Home-based with flexible working hours, if required
- Flexible package – we want the right person so will build a package to suit – employed or contract/full or part-time etc.
About the business
From the Kelsey Publishing stable, CPM is a specialist, controlled circulation magazine for arable farmers. Since 1999, CPM has kept the UK’s arable farmers, farm managers, agronomists and industry professionals up to date and fully informed with all the expertise, opinion, research and inspiration to help the sector thrive.
Broad, analytical & technical, CPM majors on innovation, including from scientific, sustainability and machinery perspectives.
- Salary: Competitive, depending on experience
- Position: Full or part-time/employed or short-term contract
- Closing date: 05 December 2022
- Interviews: week commencing 12 December 2022
- How to apply: Email your CV to Lucy@cpm-magazine.co.uk with a short covering letter, which is your opportunity to wow us with exactly why you should be considered for this new position or call 07977 576733 for an informal chat about the role.